Petersfield Town Partnership
Town Character Group
Meeting Minutes 25 November 2006
Meeting held at 28a The Spain
• David & Mary Carrick, Vaughan Clarke, Vincent Edberg, Phil Haines, Tracy Haskins, David Jeffery, Sharmoine Osborne, Tony Struthers, Tony Wilson
• John Venning
3. Appointment of Officer
• Vincent Edberg was appointed as chairman. He also agreed to take meeting notes for the time being. It may be necessary to appoint a secretary in due course.
4. Scope of Project
• It was initially agreed that the geographical area to be investigated by the Town Character group study should be limited to the boundaries of the Petersfield & Sheet Parishes.
• Discussion about what form and content a Petersfield Town Design Statement could or should have. Some of the headings suggested were:
- Mission statement
- Status of Project
- Historical Development
- Petersfield Now - perhaps be partly described by maps
- Development areas - text & maps
- Detailed design - subdivided into new build, existing buildings, listed buildings, development areas.
It rapidly became clear that the options are extensive. Tony Wilson agreed to attempt to in preparation for the next meeting structure these initial ideas into a workable and preliminary framework.
• Tony Struthers volunteered to deal with funding requirements and discuss these with EHDC development control. It is thought that the group may need between one and two days of workshop training supervised by a suitable consultant. Jeff Bishop was mentioned in this context.
6. Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
• It was seen as essential that some assurance can be obtained from EHDC that the final Design Statement document is likely to be adopted as a SPG. Tony Struthers to discuss with Alison Wood and report back to the next meeting.
7. Web Site
• Vincent Edberg to explore with Bob Ayres the possibility of adding a password secured page to the Petersfield Tomorrow web site. This would serve as part of a communication forum for the members of the Town Character group.
8. Information records
• Phil Haines offered space in his office for storage of hard copy research information that group members may need to access. Tracy Haskins to assist with organizing this. Tracy also offered to produce a list of initial suitable reading on the web or hard copy as an introduction for members to the structure of Design Statements.
9. Any other business
a. Vincent Edberg to attend the next steering group meeting on 6 December 2006. Phil Haines also offered to attend.
b. It was agreed as essential to consider how young people can be involved in the project. This could possible be achieved through specific workshop(s) and or young person representatives appointed to the various groups.
c. General community involvement and interaction with other partnership groups also to be explored.
d. Time table for the project of writing the Design Statement was initially set to be 18 months.
10. Date and place of next meeting
• Next Meeting to be held at 9.30 am at 28A The Spain.